The Brazil Games coalition came out strong at this year’s Gamescom, stepping up and telling the world about the country’s rapidly expanding indie development scene. Today, we’re taking a deeper dive into three studios leading the charge: Rockhead Studios, Cafundó Creative Studios, and BitCake Studio. These fantastic studios are more critically-acclaimed examples of the great things happening in Brazil’s thriving games industry and prominent members of Brazil Games — an export program created by the Brazilian Game Companies Association, ABRAGAMES, in partnership with Apex-Brasil, the Brazilian Trade, and Investment Promotion Agency.
Of course, what’s a game company without the games? The great thing about the Brazilian game dev scene is the sheer variety of titles across all genres and platforms. Want to relax with some fun but casual multiplayer racing action? Rockhead Studios has you covered with Starlit Kart Racing. For players after a more serious, immersive VR experience, BitCake Studio’s DeMagnete is the perfect fit. And if a haunting but challenging and entirely unique puzzle game is more your cup of tea, Tetragon, from Cafundó Creative Studios, is a perspective-shifting tale of a lumberjack trying to save his son that will certainly scratch that itch.
Watch the first 10 minutes of gameplay for Starlit KART below:
- Powerups and Bosses: In classic “kart” formula, the racers can pick up special items and weapons to use against the other players and even bosses, because who needs speed when you’ve got bombs and boomerangs!
- Your Favourite Heroes and Villains: All the stars of the Starlit franchise are here for your enjoyment, with wacky custom karts and adorable hats.
- Varied Terrain and Weather: Get down and dirty in the mud and rain or take a nighttime cruise under the starry sky, different weather conditions keep things spicy on the track.
- Choose Your Engine: With different categories of race available, players can keep it chill at 150cc or put the pedal to the floor with the intense 600cc tier.
Rockhead Studios is focused on projects designed for mobile devices, tablets, PC and consoles. The studio is committed to creating fun, deliver memorable moments, lead to imaginary worlds, present living characters, and challenge people by revisiting elements of the classic games, back to our time. Rockhead strives to make elegant solutions, created as a custom outfit. Modular technology that adjusts to the platform strengths and game features, as a glove. And at last, but not least, they aim to deliver valuable content to the public. Rockhead Studios' goal relies on fair play and positive meanings, targeted for individual and collective growth.
Starlit Kart Racing will launch on iOS and Android on September 9 for free.
Watch the Tetragon announcement trailer below:
- It’s a Beautiful World: A gorgeous art-style highlights the innovative and challenging puzzle-based setting.
- Up is Down, Left is Right: In order to solve each puzzle, players can change the position of the planes and towers to alter gravity, creating platforms and stairs by spinning the world on its axis.
- A Heartwarming Tale: Join dedicated father Lucios, a humble lumberjack who must brave the complex world of Tetragon to save his son, Jerry.
- A (gravity) Well of Content: Hundreds of puzzles, mazes, and challenges, across 40 different levels in three magic worlds.
A creative Studio ready to develop visual and interactive experiences meaningful to people.
Tetragon is now available for PC via Steam, PlayStation 4, Xbox Series X | S, and Nintendo Switch for $14.99 USD.
Check out the DeMagnete trailer below:
Listen to the newly released DeMagnete soundtrack on Spotify, Deezer, Apple Music, YouTube Music, and Tidal.
DeMagnete Key Features:
- Virtual Reality Magnet Gloves: Solve an intricate series of physics-based puzzles using the power of magnet gloves — positive attracts, negative repels.
- Beautiful, Immersive Visuals: Taking the quality of VR to the next level, DeMagnete features stunning, lush visuals and vivid colors.
- A Mysterious Story: Uncover the secrets of the cryptic cave and its even more enigmatic host, the keymaster AI which controls the environment and guides you through its chambers.
- Lots to Discover: More than 40 puzzles that utilize a variety of original magnet-based mechanics that become more complex as the player progresses through the chamber.
BitCake Studio is a game development studio from Rio de Janeiro, creating games that bring people together since 2013. The company specializes in multiplayer experiences and have released titles for PCs, browsers, mobile devices, and most recently consoles.
DeMagnete is currently available for Oculus Rift, Steam VR, Viveport, via Steam, and PlayStation VR for $19.99 USD.
Brazil Games is the export program created by the Brazilian Game Companies Association, ABRAGAMES, in partnership with Apex-Brasil, the Brazilian Trade and Investment Promotion Agency. Our goal is to promote the Brazilian Indie Game industry internationally, developing new business opportunities for our companies. The Brazil Games Program also promotes Brazil as the hub for business in Latin America and invites buyers, investors, and publishers for BIG Festival, Brazil's Independent Games Festival, the most important international indie games festival, and the hub for international business in Latin America.
Brazil Games has worked tirelessly for the past decade to support thriving Brazilian game studios internationally — funding their attendance at international video game events and connecting them with partnerships and financial backing opportunities. As the 13th largest gaming maker in the world, Brazil’s local industry has a current growth rate of 13.5% annually and accounts for $1.6 billion USD of the world’s video game-related revenue. Through their work with their affiliate studios, Brazil Games is an integral part of their success.
The Brazilian Trade and Investment Promotion Agency (Apex-Brasil) works to promote Brazilian products and services abroad and to attract foreign investment to strategic sectors of the Brazilian economy. The Agency's efforts comprise trade and prospective missions, business rounds, support for the participation of Brazilian companies in major international trade fairs, the arrangement of technical visits of foreign buyers and opinion makers to learn about the Brazilian productive structure, and other select activities designed to strengthen the country’s branding abroad. Apex-Brasil also plays a leading role in attracting foreign direct investment (FDI) to Brazil, by working to identify business opportunities, promoting strategic events, and providing support to foreign investors interested in allocating resources in Brazil.
Find out more about some of the other incredible studios represented by Brazil Games in the press kit found here: https://uberstrategist.link/Brazil-Games-Press-Kit.
If you’d like to chat with any of the dev teams listed above, please let us know and we will coordinate an interview. If you’d like to chat with Eliana Russi, Executive Manager of Brazil Games, about any of their other studios, we can help with that as well.
Lisa Mior and Brendan Quinn
Rockhead Studios Press Kit: https://uberstrategist.link/StarlitKartRacing_PressKit
Cafundó Creative Studios Press Kit: https://uberstrategist.link/Tetragon_PressKit
BitCake Press Kit: https://uberstrategist.link/DeMagnete_PressKit